Friday, July 13, 2007

Back to work, True West magazine and more Deadwood

Well, it seems I haven't gotten any better at posting regularly here, so I guess sometimes is better than not at all. Please bear with me.

This photo was taken right after we wrapped up my closing comments about Deadwood. Filming was over, and we were ready to celebrate. In the photo, L to R., Peter, Tom, Me, Oli (in back), Rick, and Chris.

The August issue of True West magazine (on sale now) has featured me in their "Author Profile" section. If you can get a copy, check it out. I am also in there with my favorite reads.

I am finally back to a routine of working and writing. I just sent the manuscript to the Univ. New Mexico Press (Taste of Tombstone), which is a huge relief. I am a week past my deadline - I hate that. I still have to send them the visuals to use in the book, and will finish that this weekend. I am waiting to hear from the Univ. North TX Press about the pioneer women book - should be this month.

I said I would talk more about the Deadwood filming, so here goes. The more I think back on that (hard to believe it's been a month since I did it), the more I realize just how much I enjoyed doing it. I mean, I love history and I got to share that love with so many! It's every authors dream, well even if it's not; it's this author's dream.

On location: As I said, Oli, Tom, and Peter were awesome. A girl couldn't have asked for a better "crew." Here's what our schedule was like each day - Get up at 6:00 a.m., leave for the first location at 7:30 a.m., start filming around 8:00 a.m., break for lunch anywhere between noon and 2:00 p.m. for about 40 minutes. We changed locations often and didn't quit until between 8:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. each night. We packed up, unloaded the equipment (ok, the guys wouldn't let me help), and then headed back to town for dinner. Had ice cream at the cabin, then to bed around midnight. Yeah, I know, ice cream before bed is baadd. It's all Oli's fault with his addiction to Ben and Jerry's! We girls all know where it ends up, right Oli?!

The first two days I did pretty darn good. However, the third day at Ft. Meade, I fell apart. I don't know what happened, other than I was standing on sacred Indian ground with a guest who had a very soothing, soft voice, and I felt very calm and relaxed. I think Oli wanted to strangle me (not literally, well maybe) because I had no "zip" and was very different from the previous days. We finally get it filmed, but it was painful for all. After lunch, I was fine. The following day went well, too.

Later I will post more about one day of the filming. Just to tease you, it was June 7 in Deadwood, SD and it was 33 degrees...

No comments: