Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 29, 2008

I really have to make sure that I blog on Monday or start doing it over the weekend. Today is Tuesday and I have a lot to try and remember since Friday.

On the bright side, this weekend was relatively quiet. Saturday we shopped and went to dinner at a friend's house. Sunday was spent around the house and I made more progress on my next book.

Yesterday was busy with work. Today I am having lunch with my friend, Renata.

I am trying to fight off a cold and have been for two weeks now. I hope it doesn't hit me while I am in Tahoe next week.

Okay, advice about being a writer. I guess the first thing to talk about is how to get started. Well, it helps if you have an idea of what you want to write about ;).

Seriously, the thing I always tell people is join a group! If you write about the west, then join Western Writers of America. If you write romance, join the Romance Writers of America, etc. Get the picture?

These groups are the best way for someone new, and even established authors to connect with other writers, publishers, and a ton of other people who have the passion that you do.

They usually have an annual conference, and that can open so many doors. When I first started writing, I was intimidated my this, but I sucked it up and went. I made some pretty neat contacts and met new friends. Most of these groups have an online discussion forum and newsletter, so try to become friends with just one person and connect with them at the conference.

One of the groups I belong to, Women Writing the West, is really good about making sure that first-time attendees aren't left alone.

If you want to be a writer, you better don a thick skin and ditch the shyness. That's really hard to do for some writers, since most are used to being in solitude while we create our masterpieces.

That's it for today! Happy writing.

No comments: