Wednesday, January 16, 2008

January 16, 2008

I didn't make the gym yesterday and I feel bad about that. I did, however, make good progress on my list of things to do.

I forgot to mention yesterday who my friend with the blog advice is. It's none other than the esteemed author and editor of True West magazine. Bob Boze Bell has been a friend since I first started my writing career. You really should read his blog sometime if you want to be entertained - http://blog.truewestmagazine.com/weblog/blogger1.htm.

It's been really cold here for a change - 40s during the day and mid-20s at night. They are calling for a tiny bit of snow tomorrow morning, but then it's supposed to change over to rain...we'll see. All I know is that tonight the grocery stores will be packed and there will be no bread or milk left. I live in NC, so I know snow is a novelty, but why bread and milk? My husband says, never mind bread and milk, get beer and toilet paper!

I've been watching the Comanche Moon series on CBS this week. Tonight is the last part. Is it completely and historically accurate? Does it matter? Not really to most viewers. Am I enjoying it? Yes. I love Val Kilmer in just about anything!

It ticks me off when I read comments from fellow writers or western fans who are also watching this series. Many of them gripe about how this was wrong, or that person wasn't a good cast and trash the entire movie because of a few inaccuracies. Just enjoy the series as something entertaining.

I say we should be glad that a major TV station like CBS is even willing to play a western! If they didn't, I suppose the complainers would be griping that TV stations don't play westerns.

Yes, we need quality westerns so viewers will watch and the TV execs will want to play more, but let's be thankful that they are even taking a chance on them!

I learned that lesson from a friend, Dr. Paul Hutton, who said something like that in a speech a few years ago. It really hit home with me, because I used to be one of the gripers.

Let's support the westerns that do make it and not rip them apart. If we don't support them, why should the TV stations and viewers?

Admittedly, I find historical inaccuracies in many movies, but I still enjoy them. It's okay to talk about them, just don't condemn the whole movie, unless it's really awful.

Off the pulpit and on to work...

No comments: