Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 23, 2007

It's been a crazy few days which is why I haven't posted until now. I worked late on Thursday night and then packed for my trip. I left early Friday morning and arrived in Denver around 3 p.m. Rented a car, they suggested I get an SUV with 4-wheel drive because of a possible snowstorm. I did even though it was 70 degrees. I got in the car and there was a snow brush on the seat. I chuckled!

I got to my friend's house (Mary) around 5:30. It was nice to see her again. We had some great wine, as usual, and caught up on things. Saturday morning I woke very early and drove to Colorado Springs (they call it the "Springs"). I arrived at 8:15 a.m. and met some fellow writers I haven't seen in a long time. It was real nice. I gave my presentation after lunch. I was supposed to talk for 1 1/2 hours - I made it for an hour, and we covered a lot. It seemed to go well. The group in the other room asked if we had a good time because they heard a ton of laughter coming from our room! I met that publisher who wants my pioneer women's book - it wasn't weird at all. In fact, he really wants me to send it back to him. I will, once I have a chance to tackle it.

I drove back to Mary's house and we headed out for our girl's night on the town. She hired a driver to pick us up and chauffeur us around. We dined at a trendy little Denver place called, Sparrows. We sat at the chef's table and he chose our food for us. We had a great bottle of wine with dinner, and Irish whiskey with dessert. The chef was British and we chatted about Gordon Ramsay.

On Sunday we awoke to a wicked snowstorm - it was beautiful! I was supposed to drive back to the Springs for a business meeting, but it was snowing so bad I couldn't see the houses across the street. We thought it best I didn't drive down. We sat around the house in our "comfy" clothes all day. We watched football, drank some hot cocoa with Baileys Irish cream, and then wine later. She has a 5 year-old son so we went out and played in the snow. Thank goodness she's the same size I am. I posted two photos here. One is her son Jack, hitting me with a snowball.

Monday morning I drove to the Denver airport, which has the worst system for airport security. I waited an hour to get through. We left Denver late because our incoming plane was delayed. I got stuck in Atlanta for a little while because of weather, and got home about 8:30 last night.

I have tons of work and calls today, so back to work now.

No comments: