Monday, February 18, 2008

February 18, 2008

Sorry I haven't posted sooner, but last week was crazy with work and trying to adjust to the time changes.

Last week was such a blur so I don't have much to report. I will start this week anew and forget the last one.

The weather has been bizarre...upper 60s for the last two days and it will be in the 30s tonight. No wonder the flowers are blooming in February. That's even early for the south!

I haven't done any writing lately, but have been giving advice about it.

Someone asked me about self-publishing. It's certainly an option, especially if you have about $6,000 to drop and some time.

To begin, you have to finish writing your book, and then you need to have it edited--don't ask Aunt Edna to do it! Pay for this service--it can make or break your book.

Next, find a printer, designer, and get your legal ducks in a row. Copyright your work (you should do this no matter who publishes your book), get your ISBN numbers (no bookstore will sell your book unless you have one), set up an accounting system, find a printer, and attempt to get a distributor to sell your book.

You should also have a current website with ordering information.

I don't mean to make this sound impossible, but there is a lot to consider. I almost went this option, but decided I would hold out for a traditional publisher. I let them do all the work and pay up front.

Tomorrow...book royalties and why I still have a day job...

No comments: