Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Personal Discovery

It always amazes me how things work in the universe.

I was asked to read a non-fiction historical book about food in America and write a review. Of course I said yes and the deadline is fast approaching--so what's new? LOL

As I began to read this book I realized the author has a gift for telling a story and weaving seemingly irrelevant details into his work masterfully. I was interested in things that have little bearing on the main subject and hardly noticed them being intertwined. I noticed because that's what I'm trying to do with Evelyn.

Two days ago I thought, "I will never be able to write that well." Then I slept on it. I told myself I would strive to write like this author. Not his style, but the concept. I'm only a few chapters in, but I've already had some awesome inspiration for my Evelyn book.

I'm working on her today and I am totally inspired!!

1 comment:

Lori Orser said...

It's those details, often seemingly irrelevant, that help create your voice as an author. Keep it up! Evelyn will be just as real as you are!